Wednesday, September 29, 2010

First time for everything!

Tomorrow starts my first day at my new job. SCARY!!! But I'm also excited for it as well. Today was the last day of training for me and it made me feel better about things and what I would be doing. For example: I'm working at a group home with people who have some level of mental retardation. At first, I thought that it was going to require me doing a lot of helping the individuals with getting dressed, showering, feeding them, etc. which I wasn't all that thrilled about doing for them. But upon learning that most, if not all, of them are mobile and can do these things on their own, it's gonna be good!!

Most of the training today talked about how these disabled people have the same rights as any "normal" human being would have. They have the right to say what's on their mind, to leave a situation if they're not comfortable, to choose what foods to eat and what clothes to wear, to not be discriminated against and to not be treated like a lesser person. If you're thinking, "True, but they can't do everything that we can do. They need to know what's right and wrong."

That's where I step in. As much as I may want to shelter them and make all their decisions for them to make them feel less pain, that wouldn't be beneficial to them and they wouldn't grow or have the confidence to go in public. I feel like a teacher as I'm thinking of ways to always help the individuals decide for themselves what's right/wrong, acceptable/unacceptable. Of course, I'll have to interrupt at times to let them know that I cannot allow them to run through the aisles of a grocery store, or wear an immodest shirt outside, but it's guided learning where we're not completely alone and there's always someone you can go to to ask questions.

Kinda like life isn't it?

I know that we are never alone. We are faced with choices everyday whether they are as small as choosing how to wear your hair, to as big as deciding education/work/money/mission/marriage!! Scary decisions....but I know that I am a daughter of God. I will never be comfortless because I have been blessed with so many good things in my life that I feel confident now to make those big decisions. I know that my Heavenly Father is aware of me and knows best how to make my life work out perfectly, even if I may not be able to see it right away.

For the people that I'm gonna be working with, I'll have to teach them to do things that have come naturally to me, but it'll be hard for them. I can't do it all for them, they have to learn how to do it themselves...How much easier would it be for us if God came down and completed our mission because He wanted to keep us safe and happy?? Life would be a whole lot easier if that happened!!!

But would life be worth it? No.

Joy is in the Journey. It's about learning and growing everyday to be the person who God sees. We are refined by our learning experiences, they help us look at life differently and appreciate what we have. I hope that as I come up to some pretty scary decisions in my life, I will find the joy in making the most out of my day and going step by step.

But I'm not gonna lie, it's definately not feeling very joyous thinking about work tomorrow. Especially when your shift starts at 6 AM!!!
-Rebbie Becky

0 comments: