This past Thanksgiving weekend, I was reunited with a beloved movie, "This Is The Army".
About the soldier shows put on by Irving Berlin during World War I (1918) and the second in World War II (1943), this symbolizes the differences in generations as many sons and daughters of the first war veterans become involved with the war. If you recognize the studly gentlemen on the poster, that's Lt. Ronald Reagan!! I forgot that he was in this movie...Also, Irving Berlin makes a special appearance as well.
I first saw this movie many many years ago when I was in 5th grade singing in the school choir. We were preparing to sing some patriotic songs, so we traveled down to an old theater and watched this movie. Proving to be well spent, I enjoyed it immensly. All the time, I thought about my maternal grandfather since he was a colonel in the army during World War II. Relaing this to him and his circumstances, I felt proud to have him as a veteran. At the time of his service, he was newly married to my grandma with a newborn son (my eldest uncle).
So, watching this for perhaps the third or fourth time, I enjoyed it even more! I noticed the intense feelings in this movie when considering war, marriage, and family. Comparing to today, we're not sure about the future because of the economic situation. A new president will take over and there are even more talk about natural disasters happening soon (earthquakes, floods, etc.) The last song in this movie empowers me to keep trying my hardest and to always be ready to make sure we don't make the same mistakes twice!!
'Twas not so long ago
We sailed to meet the foe
And thought our fighting days were done
We thought 'twas over then
But now we're in again
To win the war that wasn't won
This time
We will all make certain
That this time is the last time
This time
We will not say "Curtain"
Till we ring it down
In their own home town
For this time
We are out to finish the job we started then
Clean it up for all time this time
So we won't have to do it again
Dressed up to win
We're dressed up to win
Dressed up for victory
We are just beginning
And we won't stop winning
Till the world is free
[coda:]We'll fight to the finish this time. And we'll never have to do it again
-Rebbie Becky


0 comments:
Post a Comment